Still alive ?
Yes! I know I’ve posted a lot in January / February and disappeared a bit after that ^^.
I have been busy at work and at home, and to be honest I started working on another topic of my “todo geek list” :
Reinstalling my servers where I host my application and retake ownership of my data.
I also wanted to switch for manual installing all software on my servers and leveraging docker to put the app within container (and also improve a bit my knowledge in this area^^)
Here is what I have setup so far (all on docker containers):
- At home (on a RaspberryPi 3):
- On a Digital Ocean droplet:
As you can see, i have been busy (with this, work, my life and of course starcraft2 ^^”), but unfortunately, I’m not done yet^^
My todolist still contains:
- Migrate all my repos from github to Gogs (at least mirroring)
- Add mattermost bots (hubot and RSS)
- Monitoring alerts via email (?)
- Redo mail server
- Backup automated policy
Ok… That’s cool, but why ?
Well, since a long time now, I’m trying to advocate for data privacy, self hosting a trying to stop feeding (too much) the GAFAM. I’m hosting my own server mail since 10 years as well as my websites (like this blog), but i wanted to go further and take ownership again of my data.
For those who speaks french and didn’t see it (old from 2007… but still so true), i recommend this great video of Benjamin Bayart:
Internet or minitel 2.0 (For non French people, look up online what Minitel was :)).
From what I read on mastodorn, it seems B. Bayart might do a new version of that talk :).
I don’t really want to explain why you should care about your data, there are a lot of good articles online.
Sounds cool, i want to do it!
I’m planing to transform this experience into a series of blog posts:
- Continuous integration setup: Gogs , DroneCI and automatic builds when a push happens. Bonus: push notification on a private channel of my mattermost instance.
- Mastodon and feed2toot bot (will be an update of my previous post about feed2toot as I don’t plan to rewrite the good installation doc)
- Cool / useful apps selfhosted apps on RaspberryPi: Wallabag, Shaarli and Lutim
- Mattermost and Hubot
- Monitoring, graph and alerts
I’ll update this post to add the link to the post series.
Talk to you soon!